As we mentioned earlier the Kentucky Legislature’s Interim Joint Committee on Education held hearings on August 9, 2010 on charter schools and what they might bring to the commonwealth.
We shot lots of video of the event, as did another blogger, and we will be posting those in the next couple of days.
In addition, the Bluegrass Institute also hosted a small roundtable discussion with several charter school experts
• Tracy McDaniel, president of the KIPP Reach College Preparatory School in Oklahoma City
• Kenneth Campbell, president of the Black Alliance for Educational Options
and several members of our coalition to bring charter schools to Kentucky, including:
• Jerry Stephenson, pastor of the Midwest Church of Christ in Louisville
• Jim Waters, vice president for Policy and Communications at the Bluegrass Institute
• Kelly Smith, Vice President for Strategic Partnerships at the Bluegrass Institute, and
• Myself, Richard Innes, Education Analyst for the Bluegrass Institute.
Some of the interesting answers to our questions from the charter school experts are available for you here.